Monday, 24 June 2013

Orange Coconut Chia Parfait

Woah buddy! is it ever hot out there today! Brent and I headed to the outdoor track, ran a few laps, worked on perfecting some of our yoga poses, and then pretty much keeled over from heat exhaustion. By the time we got home we both knew we needed something chilled for our refuel. I've been on a bit of a citrus kick lately, especially limes and lemons, oh and grapefruit! oh...and i guess pomelo too. okay, so basically everything but oranges, and this needed to be changed. I had some beautiful organic oranges, and some fresh young coconuts in the fridge that were just calling my name!




Below is a recipe for an Orange Coconut Chia Parfait. Never had chia seeds?  They are fantastic! and I love them.  They pack a huge punch in such a little seed! They are full of healthy fats, protein, calcium, iron, fibre and even antioxidants. (See what I mean? These little guys have a lot to offer!)

Orange Coconut Chia Parfait


Ingredients:

- 1/2 cup Chia seeds
- 1/2-1 cup Water
- 1/2 tsp Pure vanilla
- 2 Large oranges peeled and chopped into tiny pieces
- 1 Orange zest
- 1 cup Fresh young coconut meat
- 3/4 cup Fresh coconut water
- 2 Tbsp Organic Raw Sugar Cane
- pinch of Pink Himalayan salt



Directions:


Chia pudding
stir the chia seeds with 1/2 a cup water, vanilla and 1/2 the orange zest. stir immediately to avoid clumps. You may need to add a little extra water to reach desired consistency (I like mine thick). Place in fridge to chill while you make the coconut cream.

Coconut cream

Place the coconut meat, water, sugar cane, and salt into a high speed blender or food processor, and blend until creamy.

After that, just layer the ingredients in your glass with the chopped orange, and top with remaining orange zest.

This would have been good too if we had let it sit overnight, and ate it for breakfast, but it was too hot, and my tastes buds had tunnel vision when it was all said and done! Heck, I'm lucky I even had the willpower to snap a couple pictures!

2 comments:

  1. Do you use brown coconuts? I've bought a few and can not manage it get the meat out. I'm going to try the young coconuts next. Lets hope those work!?! Any tips would be appreciated

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always buy fresh young coconuts because the "meat" is super soft still, and you get a lot more water from them too. You can easily scrape it out with a spatula without any hassle.Just hack the top off, empty the coconut water into a bowl/glass, and them scrape the insides. Everytime I've bought the brown coconuts, it ends in a giant mess and a zillion coconut shards everywhere! The effort is just not worth it. Young coconuts all the way! :) hope this helps!

      Delete